[meteorite-list] What's in a name

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:07:18 -0800

Hi Steve,

> If it really is customary to avoid choosing proper names that are a subset
> of existing ones, how in the world did Clearwater West, Kelly West,
Laundry
> West, Victoria West, West Hawk, West Point all avoid the custom of
> disqualification on the above merits?

Ahh, but they are not subsets of one another -- they merely share parts of
their
names. "Point" would be a subset of "West Point", or "Hawk" a subset of
"West
Hawk". (There is no "Hawk" meteorite or "Point" meteorite). That said, I'm
sure
that if one digs through all the meteorite names, examples can be found that
make your case, but if confusion can be avoided, why not do so?

--Rob