[meteorite-list] West Specimen for sale AD

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:45:12 -0500

Hello Rob, Listees,

While I understand your concerns regarding meteorite fever of others, I
would like to assure you that our team flew Dr. Rubin material found by
our fortunate team, and placed it in his hand in less than 72 hours
after it was hot, or better, I should say cold. He actually was slicing
it for a thin section preparation before any of the other commercial
meteorite hunters reached the strewn field!!! Thanks, Dima, Rob and
Sergey, you all are the best!

So, in effect, Dr. Rubin did the preparation and microprobe
classification in less than two days. How's that for service to science
with professionalism?

Thus he had the material classified before the subject commerce began,
and information about the classification even somehow percolated out
hours later, as thus far there has been no formal announcement. This
post the formal announcement which was submitted Thursday. Our team was
too busy dealing with the news to post, and I didn't get it until
Friday anyway.

A lot of miracles were worked from the fall. After we delegated our
material to science at our personal cost (fedex next plane service was
the same cost as just flying there and riling Rob out of bed to make
the door to door delivery), personal and nostalgic needs fulfilled and
everyone involved with our search team, we left by Friday as this
community braced for something peculiar that only the meteorite list
can fully=2
0appreciate. Here is the formal classification done by Dr.
Rubin for the list:

W0, S3, L6
olivine Fa: 24.2?0.2 (n=12)
low-Ca pyx Fs20.5?0.7Wo1.6?0.2 (n=12)
kamacite has an average composition of Fe 93.1 Ni 5.8 Co 0.83 (n=4)
taenite has an average composition of Fe 69.6 Ni 30.3 Co 0.30 (n=9)
Taenite is much more abundant than kamacite.

Many plagioclase grains exceed 50 ?m in size. Some metal grains have
irregular grains of troilite inside them. Metallic Cu is present in me
metal grains. There are some thin metal- and sulfide-bearing shock
veins. The rock exhibits signficant silicate darkening.

Though we barely saw it, the specimen he classified was very troilite
rich - appeared literally caked and fragmented on it! I might suggest
the name "Ash Creek", a pleasant valid place name, as well as
reminiscent of the Nakhla dog and Cabin Creek. While L6 is one of the
most common classifications, this meteorite does have its especially
exciting points, including: the presence of metallic copper!

Anyways, this whole thing so blows me away, the hospitality of the
locals, the speed at which we were able to operate superb coordination.
I will try to get some sleep after this crazy week, and wish the best
of luck t
o all those in our team's footsteps. Best of luck on the main
mass and mapping of the strewn field. I am convinced the main mass
exists, quite psyched with our hustle and the professionalism of my
peers, but must attend to family matters and will miss all of our
friends along with the hoards of curiosity seekers.

Best wishes and Great health,
Doug