[meteorite-list] Report increases and debris streams

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:54:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi Elton, all -

Elton - "Back to a general note: we are seeing weekly and monthly spaced major fireballs including large meteorite falls."

Perhaps this is just the effect of the internet, along with the realization that the falls can lead to cash.

"Statistics tell me that we are only sampling a portion of a much larger asteroidal debris field in crossing earth orbit."

I don't know if the intersections of the Earth with either cometary or asteroidal debris streams would necessarily be annual. What you probably would need to do would be to sort known falls by type, subtract days between falls, and then look for multiples. That's about as far as I can take this kind of analysis now, and I know it's less than what would be needed.

Imagine the result if you will: "Ah, March 12. Well tonight perhaps a nice pallasite is going to fall at 3 in the morning. Time to start up the old fireball survey system. Wonder what it will have for us tomorrow morning?"

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas