[meteorite-list] Fireball Alert: North Central Kentucky..NOW SE KY London

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:39:06 -0800 (PST)

I've spent several hours going over internet forums, scanner reports, etc. and the preponderance of sonic boom reports are coming from London, KY. Some reports from Richmond, KY to the North of London.

Visual Observers have been mentioned from Southern Ohio, Central Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, and Western South Carolina. Those with detail seem to confirm this was a steeply vertical track.

Based on what I have gleaned, and trying to be conservative, nothing thus far precludes that this could have been a meteorite dropping fireball.

When/if we get satellite observation data please give me a heads up. If any list member has contact with the Canadian official who is privy to USAF data please give them call.

London is on Interstate 75 near the Tennessee state line North of Jelico, TN west of Middlesboro, KY. South of Lexington KY. I am about 100 miles away in Knoxville.

I'm putting together a resource pack to take to the London Corbin area Tuesday. If anyone is headed to the area please let me know so we can coordinate.

Elton
(Thanks Dirk, Kevin, George)