[meteorite-list] New Moroccan Fall

From: John.L.Cabassi <John_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 19:14:29 -0800

G'Day List
I noticed there's been alot of information posted in regards to the recent
fall in Morocco, Tishka. I will call it that for the time being, knowing
quite well it could change and there's alot of alternatives out there.

Now I might be blowing a little bit of smoke here, so please don't flame me
too hard. But I received a 4.5 gram fragment of Tishka and naturally my
first move is I grab my loop and do a quick scan. I don't have the ability
to do scientific analysis, but from doing a preliminary check it was like
deja-vu. So yes, back to the boxes of my collection and sure enough I found
a 3 gram piece of Carancas. I was amazed at the similarities. Now don't get
me wrong here, this is just a visual inspection. The Carancas which had a
nice area of slickenslide which has been referred to, also appears to be
identical on Tishka. And then you have other characteristics and I can list
a few more, but I don't possess the scientific knowledge that the members of
the list have.

But I just found it uncanny that I'm holding Carancas in one hand and Tishka
in the other and I just could not tell them apart. Am I just assuming that
we have something similar or just grabbing at straws?

I would like hear your input . As I said earlier, I might just be blowing
smoke, but has anyone else noticed the similarities?

Cheers
John