[meteorite-list] What are the top 10 most scientificallyimportant meteorites?

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 04:47:44 -0500

In my naivete, I think this is largely quantifiable--with a few caveats.

If the premise is that a meteorite referenced in five different
abstracts is more scientifically important than a meteorite referenced
in one (and I'm not referring to waypoints), wouldn't it follow that
meteorites appearing in the most abstracts are more important? You
will find a high correlation between the highest quantity of studies
on those meteorites originally proffered by Jason.

At the same time, there is the matter of "availability of material."
For example, 12-15 years ago I recall Allende being the most
researched meteorite by far, which is in no small part due to its
ready availability. Around the same time I recall several researchers
bemoaning their inability to get their hands on Krymka.

And then, more subjectively, there is the matter of the one earth-
shaking study, say, the determination of life on Mars....which is
related to the matter of "firsts" which shape future thinking.

It's a fun exercise....

Happy Valentine's! d,