[meteorite-list] Slump glass meteorite protection/display

From: Ed Deckert <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 23:56:49 -0500

Tom,

I would be very afraid of the olivine cracking (at the least) -- and at
the worst, cracking and crumbling out of the iron, leaving you with a
falling-apart mess sandwiched between two layers of cracked glass. The
glass is likely to crack due to the stress of the heating and cooling too.

Better you should not heat it, but either use the dessicant as suggested in
the article, or perhaps displace the air with a dry, inert gas like
nitrogen, and sealing it in.

That's my 1? cents (allowing for currency conversion fees depending on where
you are in the world.)

Ed Deckert
IMCA #8911