[meteorite-list] Bogus indochinites?

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:33:16 -0000

Actually I've seen plenty of dodgey black glass indochinites for sale in
gem shops, (its a bit obvious when they have sometimes have perfectly
flat edges or mold lines and the glass style varies) and also there have
been quite a few repro button Australites for sale on ebay, (admittedly
they are clearly labeled as glass reproductions, and they are great if
you can't afford the real thing), but who's to say they will always be
labeled as reproduction when sold on again in the future?

Green glass moldavite is also way too easy to fake, (it can be either
melted and tumbled green beer or wine bottle glass).

As always - know your seller and only deal with those you trust, always
ask questions!

As far as I know the only way to be 100% sure is either chemical isotope
testing, or the destructive 'thermal stress test' using heat/water and
watching it shatter!!

Mark