[meteorite-list] Buzzard Coulee Permitting Snafu

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:46:19 -0700

Gary Chase posted:

> Thanks for the "heads up" Mccartney. I think I will wait for the
> ones you and Sonny collected before the snow. No use taking any
> chances on rusting issues.

Gary:

Since your comment may cause concern among my customers I will clarify
that there are no rusting issues with Buzzards collected by our team
in the spring, and I will personally guarantee that. The Buzzard
Coulee strewnfield is in Saskatchewan and it gets more than a little
cold up there in the winter. Stones that fell in November 2008 and
collected shortly after the spring thaw were frozen in snow for the
duration, and still in excellent condition upon recovery, with black
fusion crust. They have remained in that state and are not decaying in
any way, eight months after collection.

That being said, I hope List members will support McCartney Taylor
when his specimens make it to the US. Sonny and Mac were the pioneers
at Buzzard and did a great job of recovering material. I am keeping a
good number of stones for my private collection, so Aerolite only has
a modest amount of Buzzards for sale and they'll be gone soon. There
should be plenty of interest in this excellent meteorite to go around.

Thanks to everyone who contacted me today with inquiries. We'll be
back in touch in short order.

Regards,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org