[meteorite-list] Buzzard Coulee Permitting Snafu

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:24:33 -0600

Sonny and I were at Buzzard Coul?e the week it fell, as you all know. We recovered a good number of stones before the big snow hit. Permits were then applied for.

I returned as the snow melted in April. I alone recovered hundreds of stones, giving half to the landowner, I still had over 2kg. These post winter stones were submitted for exportation as well.

The Export Tribunal repeatedly delayed export and lumped the early permit with the later permit, then delayed both again and lumped those permit apps with other export apps from other hunters.

Finally, the Tribunal noted that there was a good deal of material so the very late permit apps are apparently getting approved with no hold-back delays. Hence, Geoff Notkin and others have received their stones.

Ya, ya, I know it is not fair, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

As best I can tell, my stones will be arriving in March 2010. I recovered many that have orientation, most complete individuals 10-30g, and a few 50,100, 150 g stones. They will be available on www.outofabluesky.com at that time.

The in situ stone pics and photos of the trip are on picassa
http://picasaweb.google.com/mccartneytaylor