[meteorite-list] Duking it out at the AGU

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 09:13:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

While the banks of a river that floods are not a good place to get reliably dated mega-fauna DNA samples:

http://www.canada.com/technology/MAMMOTH+DISCOVERY/2340164/story.html

There is little doubt that man was hunting mega-fauna when he arrived in the Americas, say about 45,000 BCE. And there can be little doubt that Clovis technology greatly increased the efficiency of that hunting.

We're still left with the problem of sudden quarry abandonment, and a sudden drop in mega-fauna populations. Also with the problem of the causes of some of the First Peoples' memories of comet impact.

The question of the effects of any impacts on the draining of Lake Agassiz have not been examined yet.

The lack of funding for those researching this is appaling.

Anyone who would like a copy of the cast of the Trempealeau Petroglyph can contact me off list. While it appears to show cometary impact, unfortunately since the site was lost we do not know if it was from the YD impacts, or the Rio Cuarto impacts, or another set of impacts.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas