[meteorite-list] Dukinā€™ out the Younger Dryas Boundary

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:09:54 -0700 (MST)

Hi Everyone:

I just came back from our weekly "Asteroid Lunch" where I presented this
session!

Dukin' it out summarizes the session perfectly. There were somewhere
between 500 and 800 people in a room with 400 seats (I counted).

The talks literally went (with respect to being an impact event: "no it
isn't," "yes it is," "no it isn't," yes it is"....

What it really comes down to is the fact that nanodiamonds are found in
North America, Europe, and the Sudan (deposited about 12,900 years ago).
Nanodiamonds are found in meteorites. However, nanodiamonds have not been
shown to form during impact events (microdiamonds are). So, the question
really comes down to where they came from and how they formed.

I think that this summarizes the talks in one paragraph.

Oh, megafauna were dying out prior to 12,900 years ago and any widespead
fires predated the Younger Dryas "event."

Larry