[meteorite-list] E-chondrites

From: starsandscopes at aol.com <starsandscopes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:03:55 EST

I noticed that with the heavily weathered examples they develop a yellow
sulfur looking powder in spots. The OC's tend to have a little more orange
"rust" color.

I'm not saying this is an accurate indicator but rather, I am wondering if
others have noticed this as well.

Tom

In a message dated 12/21/2009 10:42:38 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
marcin at meteoryt.net writes:

> I have a question regarding E-chondrites. I was told that Enstatite
> Chondrites have a more gray (dark) matrix than an ordinary chondrite.
They
> also contain more metal (as a rule) than a typical H-chondrite. Now I
> always thought it was impossible to recognize an E-chondrite by eye.
> However, is it possible to recognize an E-chondrite by eye (10x lens)
with
> the color of the matrix and amount of metal?
>
> Greg S.

Ayeee good question.
Im alvays a little surprized how Moroccans can recognize that chondrite is
E-type. From my 12 years collecting/dealing practice, I can recognize most
of types by eye (so Moroccans also can do this ofcourse), except
E-chondrites. For me they are typical OC impossible to recognize without
lab
tests, especially when specimen is complete. Thats why I never bought
possible e-type chondrite from Morocco.

Anyone have any hints for us ? :D

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin(at)polandmet.com