[meteorite-list] Ordinary chondrites - rarest to the most common classes

From: Carl 's <carloselguapo1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:56:10 -0800

*Sorry for the repost. My original question did not make much sense.*
?
Hi Jeff,
?
I've been puzzled about what you said and perhaps I've misread or missed your comments. Why do you think the R chondrites should be included in the oc clan? I thought this was a very unique idea.
?
Thank you all for this interesting topic.
?
Carl
?
?
?
?Jeff Grossman wrote:
?
?>I didn't say they ARE included in the OCs... I
?said that I thought they should be. As far as I
?know, I am alone in this opinion...
?
?and
?
?>...If we take a more expansive definition of "ordinary chondrite" than most of my rather
?conservative colleagues are normally willing to accept, I would say that
?the rarest group of OCs is the R chondrites (only ~100 are known and
?many of those are paired).In addition, a number of unique ungrouped
?meteorites are OC-like.But again, I don't know of any colleagues who
?agree with me that R chondrites are in the OC class. [I would say that
?the OC class has two clans, the H-L-LL clan and the R clan].