[meteorite-list] NASA Partners with Saudi Arabia on Moon and Asteroid Research

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:48:01 -0800 (PST)

Dec. 15, 2009

Michael Braukus
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1979
michael.j.braukus at nasa.gov

Michael Mewhinney
Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif.
650-604-3937
michael.mewhinney at nasa.gov

RELEASE: 09-284

NASA PARTNERS WITH SAUDI ARABIA ON MOON AND ASTEROID RESEARCH

WASHINGTON -- NASA and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's King Abdulaziz
City for Science and Technology (KACST) have signed a joint statement
that allows for collaboration in lunar and asteroid science research.
The partnership recognizes the Saudi Lunar and Near-Earth Object
Science Center as an affiliate partner with the NASA Lunar Science
Institute at NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

"This collaboration is within the scope of the Memorandum of
Understanding on Science and Technology signed between the Kingdom of
Saudi Arabia and the United States of America last year and later
ratified by the Council of Ministers," said H.H. Dr. Turki Bin Saud
Bin Mohammed Al-Saud, vice president for Research Institutes, KACST.
"The international interest in lunar science and, more recently, near
Earth objects led to the establishment of the Saudi Lunar and Near
Earth Object Science Center as a focal point for lunar science and
NEO studies in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Furthermore, we are
looking forward to our expanding collaboration with NASA for the
benefit of both countries."

"NASA's Lunar Science Institute exists to conduct cutting-edge lunar
science and train the next generation of lunar scientists and
explorers," said Greg Schmidt, institute deputy director at Ames.
"Our international partnerships are critical for meeting these
objectives, and we are very excited by the important science,
training and education that our new Saudi colleagues bring to the
NASA Lunar Science Institute."

"This is an important advance in our growing program of bilateral
science and technology cooperation," said U.S. Ambassador to Saudi
Arabia James Smith. "It will help realize President Obama's goal,
expressed in his June 4 speech to the Muslim world, of increasing our
cooperation on science and technology, which we believe closely
corresponds to King Abdullah's vision."

The Saudi science center's proposal brings technical and engineering
expertise to advance the broad goals of lunar science at the
institute. Specific areas of lunar study of both scientific and
cultural importance include radar and infrared imaging, laser ranging
and imaging, and topographical studies. The center's studies in
near-Earth object science also offer important contributions to an
area of importance to NASA.

"The Saudi Lunar and Near Earth Object Science Center's primary
mission is to direct all lunar and near Earth object related research
within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia," said Dr. Haithem Altwaijry,
deputy director of the National Satellite Technology Program at
KACST. "It will reach out to students in addition to researchers and
present fertile ground for scientific research."

"NASA welcomes international cooperation for mutual benefit with
organizations large and small in all regions of the world," said
Michael O'Brien, assistant administrator for external relations at
NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Our continuing discussions with
Saudi Arabian officials may lead to future joint scientific
collaboration in other areas of mutual interest."

To learn more about the NASA Lunar Science Institute visit:

http://lunarscience.nasa.gov

-end-