[meteorite-list] Its Not A Crater

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:10:48 -0500

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the great feedback on this.

I think the prevailing theory would be: an animal started a hole maybe
digging for remnants of a salt block and then erosion and heifers made
the hole bigger over time. The hole is right next to the path the cows
take through the pasture and it was clear that the cows had stepped
all over the hole. Not sure they started it, but they certainly could
have made it worse.

Next time I'm out there I will ask the farmer about the salt block.
I'll also try to metal detect a little more around the hole. I'm
having a lot of problems with false positives on my metal detector. I
also don't think it will go very deep, so it wasn't very useful trying
to diagnose this hole. The hole gave off beeps, but most of the land
around PA gives off beeps. The detector I'm using is:

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/minelab/minelab-relicdetectors.htm

If the farmer says no to the salt block, I'm not sure how I should
proceed, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Mike