[meteorite-list] Michael Blood Auction - Tucson 2010 Show

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:14:31 -0800

Thanks, Greg,
        Good point about dealers buying at the auction -
Dudes! If a DEALER is bidding, you KNOW it is well
Below what it will retail for.... They MUST mark up
Well over cost BECAUSE:
1 - They are tying up capital
2 - Until it sells, they have LOST money
3 - They nearly always make a new label, put it in
A nice display case, etc.
4 - The BIG issue is they may have money "tied up"
In an item for a few days, a few weeks, a few months
Or even a few years.
        So, when you are a collector and dealers are bidding
It is a DEAD GIVEAWAY that you would get the best
Possible price if you bid on the item.
        I have always been amazed to hear collectors complain
That "the dealers are buying everything." Well, figure it out:
If they are buying it, it is because it is well below what they
Will sell it for - therefore, the best possible bargain you will
Find on that fall or find.
        By the way: I am adding 25 ADDITIONAL items today,
Bringing the total to about 75 right now - so, there is still room
For more......Greg? Others?
        The range as of today is from low two digit specimens
To 3 and 4 digit specimens. Something for every pocket book.
        Please contact me off list for acceptability of items you
Would be interested in offering.
        Best wishes, Michael