[meteorite-list] Tucson 2010 Show Website and News

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:20:08 -0800 (PST)

I see Rob is commenting about a reply Carl made that apparently hasn't yet made it to the list.

I'll add just a couple of my own comments within their text

Richard

--- On Mon, 12/14/09, Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
> > Rob,
> > It all depends on when you go to either cities.
> Tucson's February
> > weather makes it the peak tourist season. In a town
> filled with
> > world class golf <courses> people are willing to
> pay for what they
> get.
>
> I would be willing to "pay for what I get" also. But when
> you consider
> that I live in southern California where I have fabulous
> weather pretty
> much all year, I don't go to Tucson for the weather. Or the
> golf.
> (Sorry, dude, but are you really going to compare Tucson
> golf courses
> to California or Las Vegas? Stone Canyon in Oro Valley is
> the only
> Tucson-area course worthy of particular mention, and it's
> private.)

The Accenture Match Play (PGA Tour) is at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Dove Mountain and starts immediately after the Tucson showS. The place is pretty packed for that event, but without TW, it may be slightly more quiet this year. The Tucson Rode happens shortly after the showS too, so February really is the busiest month for tourism in Tucson.

 But you seem to think
> that Vegas is
> nothing but gambling, and here you are wrong. Golf, top
> entertainment,
> fabulous hotels and shopping, spectacular swimming pools,
> and some of
> the best restaurants in the world.? --Rob

I may be wrong, but all of these OTHER distractions, clamboring for buyer's money, plus the added incentives to cause the spouse and children to come along, would absolutely terrify me if I were a dealer. In such a thin market, do I really want my potential buyers spending their money at all of these other attractions, or would I want them in my room, spending their money with me?

As I asked previously, has anyone heard anything about this one show leaving Tucson since the original threat?

BTW, I spoke to a person who is a member of the trade organization that organizes that one show. He said unless you are a member of the organization, you CAN'T get into the show. I suspect few if any of the subscribers of this list are members of that organization, so if they do move their show to LV. YOU won't be able to get into it either. Does it really matter to you if a show you can't attend moves to LV, or any other city for that matter?

While I'd hate to see any show leave Tucson, I suspect if they do leave, the space they free up will be rapidly filled by other dealers who want to sell to the public, not just to each other...

Richard