[meteorite-list] In memoriam Walter Zeitschel

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 10:21:31 -0500

Martin,

Thanks you for this posting....and if you could please be so kind to
forward messages of condolence---including this heartfelt note---to
his family.

For those who are not aware....

In the late 80s, two major figures had an unparalleled impact on
meteorite collecting (and on me personally). Cut from very different
cloth but similarly impassioned, Bob Haag and Walter Zeitschel were
perfect compliments (and nearly stereotypical caricatures of the lands
from where they hailed): the American showman/impressario and the
resolute German collector. With capital "Ys," they were the Yin and
Yang of the meteorite world, and I, among so many, were blessed to
have Walter's sobriety, wisdom and wonderful good humor in my life.
Why mention Bob's name in this brief tribute to Walter? Because
everyone should know that Walter was, and forever will be, every bit
as important a figure as Bob, and in too many published references he
has not received his due. With a collection that was breathtaking in
scope, and a passion to match, there are a handful of meteorite
collectors/dealers in the pantheon of greats who truly made a
difference, and Walter---who didn't ride a wave but who was the wave---
is among them.

With pause and sadness....

Darryl