[meteorite-list] Zamanshin impact and Homo Heidelbergensis

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 18:18:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

While this is far from meteorites, it does concern impacts, and specifically the Zamanshin impact.

I received grief for using the term Homo Heidelbergensis in my book for this fellow, even though I added in a footnote that the taxonomy was confused:

http://archaeologica.boardbot.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2381

Note that no name is given for this homonid right now.

This homonid was likely the common ancestor for sapiens and neanderthal, with the two populations split by the Zamanshin impact.

E.P Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas