[meteorite-list] Off Topic: Car Remote Security

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:43:09 -0800

Hi list,

This is off topic, but it's something I thought worthwhile to share with
list members. Don't know how recent this is, but I received an email
forward from a friend and figured I'd forward this to list members just
as a heads up.

BEGIN FORWARDED EMAIL
How to Lock Your Car and Why

I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went
back and locked my car again three times. Each time, as soon as I
started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again! Naturally alarmed,
I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire
lane next to the store. They were o obviously watching me intently and
there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird
situation. I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and
sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had
happened and found out I was part of a new -- and very successful --
scheme being used to gain entry into cars. Two weeks later, my friend's
son had a similar experience. While traveling, my friend's son stopped
at a roadside rest area to use the bathroom. When he came out to his car
less than five minutes later, someone had gotten into his car and stolen
his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase...You name it.
He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being
broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest
robbery tactic: There is a device that robbers are using now to clone
your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your
key-chain locking device. They sit a distance away and watch for their
next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant,
or bathroom and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run. The
police officer said to manually lock your car door-by hitting the lock
button inside the car. That way, if there is someone sitting in a
parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you. When
you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting, it does not send the
security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key
chain, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be instantly
stolen. This is very real. Be wise and aware of what you just read and
please pass this note on. Look how many times we all lock our doors with
our remote just to be sure we remembered to lock
them -- and bingo, someone has our code...and whatever was in our car.
 Snopes Approved -- Please share with everyone you know!!

"never forget that a government, large enough to give us everything we
want, is also large and powerful enough, to take everything we have..."
END FORWARDED EMAIL