[meteorite-list] [MICRO] Diamonds and Ureilites

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:02:54 -0500

Hi Greg S. and List,

Greg S. asked:
"I was wondering if anyone knows which Ureilite contains the most diamonds,
and how much (perhaps by percent) it contains. I've read that they are often
difficult to cut because of the diamonds in the matrix."

Ureilites contain 'micro'-diamonds, and in a word on how difficult they are
to cut and polish, "A Pain!" The first ureilites we purchased in Morocco
several years ago we learned just how painful and expensive they were to
prepare. Basically if you are using an 8" .012 diamond blade, expect to go
through at least one blade per inch of cutting (if you are lucky!)!

Best regards,
Greg

====================
Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
NaturesVault (eBay)
gmhupe at htn.net
www.LunarRock.com
IMCA 3163

I was wondering if anyone knows which Ureilite contains the most diamonds,
and how much (perhaps by percent) it contains. I've read that they are often
difficult to cut because of the diamonds in the matrix.

Much Thanks,

Greg S.