[meteorite-list] Limits of science

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:06:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Phil -

"Science can only take you so far. It's fine for predicting when comets will appear, ..."

Actually, the NASA budget for spotting new incoming comets is as near $0 as their managment can make it - you see, comets don't hit, according to Morrison et al.

One limit to science is money. We are still waiting some 5 years for USGS cores from the Carolinas with impact mega-tsunami data.

Further, money for the geological and archaeological study of recent impact is near $0.

Now I don't know how you describe this mindset, and the social mechanism.

As far as the increase in the stupdity level in the US, it comes from Kempton. Really. Write me for a copy of "Amazing Stories". Stupditiy is actually a well organized industry.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas