[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:08:56 -0500

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:49:07 -0400, you wrote:

>still could not figure out something so simple as how abiogenisis actually
>works. A simple basic question: how does non living matter become alive?

You seem really fixated on this point. Are you, I ask out of curiosity, working
from a religious basis that assumes life was "created" and we are the only life
in the universe? Because, otherwise, I see no reason to be so sure that
abiogenisis is such an impossibility. We know that, on the only world that we
know of that currently has plentiful liquid water and abundant energy, life not
only started, but it seems to have started as soon as it was possible-- there
has been life on Earth for most of it's history. Now, which seems to be a more
rational inferance based on that? One, that abiogenesis is so improbably rare
that it has been unlikely to have taken place more than once in all the vastness
of the universe, or two, that "life" is a naturally-occuring chemical process
that can happen any time the conditions are suitable?

Simply knowing the exact steps by which abiogenesis could/probably did take
place (which will probably be known within a few decades) doesn't come any
closer to "proving the existance of aliens" than not knowing it-- because we
still wouldn't not know the exact chemical mixture of the oceans of other
Earth-like planets. You aren't arguing that there is likely only one rocky
planet covered with liquid water in all of the universe, are you?