[meteorite-list] Speed-of-light question

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:41:06 -0600

Well, that energy is on the same order at the mass-energy equivalence, so it
doesn't seem unreasonable. You just need an efficient fusion generator. A
matter-antimatter annihilator seems like another possibility. And what's
wrong with Bussard ramjets, or some similar system that scoops up reaction
mass along the way?

Obviously I'm not saying any sort of practical spacecraft capable of
sustained 1G acceleration is going to happen without decades or centuries of
continued technological development. I'm only saying that no fundamental
physics stands in its way. That is not the case for something that shields
the contents of that spacecraft from feeling acceleration. The former is
science fiction right now; the latter is fantasy.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com