[meteorite-list] Speed-of-light question

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:55:35 -0600

> But since
> we are describing impossible fictional devices, there is no need to be
> constrained to those parameters. Along with the fictional
> steady-accelleration
> engine, you could toss in inertial dampera and allow for a much heavier
> accelleration at the start and end points, with a engines-off crusing
> period in
> between, which may burn much less unobtanium than steady accelleration.

Engines capable of steady acceleration are not impossible or fictional. They
are real and already in use. It is a mere <g> engineering problem to produce
one that can operate long enough to reach another star.

On the other hand, inertial dampers (as I assume you mean the term) are
fictional and very likely impossible.

An unmanned probe could tolerate higher accelerations, and therefore reach
its destination much closer to the theoretical minimum in our time frame-
those of us waiting behind for it to get there and start sending information
back. That is, just under the light time to get there, and exactly the light
time for the data to arrive back at Earth.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com