[meteorite-list] Alien Contact Predicted

From: Phil Whitmer <prairiecactus_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 01:24:10 -0400

To all listees pondering the Eternal Verities:

Just because the Universe is really big is not an argument that there is
Life out there. The Ocean is really big, but that's not an argument for the
existence of a Loch Ness monster or any other species of pleisosaur. I
have to actually see a unicorn before I'll believe that they exist. I'm Old
School, I have to actually see a visible light photograph of just one of
these supposed googols of Earth like planets. All I've heard is pure
speculation, forumulae, projections of our loneliness, (there has to be
someone out there!) extrapolations, computer models, mathematical
probabilities, etc. Still waiting on the evidence! Not proof, just a
simple tiny shred of evidence. One simple SOS in Morse Code on any one of
the billions and billions of channels monitered by Seti. One peer reviewed,
in focus, well lit, properly exposed photograph of an actual flying saucer.
One little tiny fossil in a meteorite. Anything! Closer to home, I'm still
waiting for anything at all from the Mars probes. Just one incontrovertible
shred of evidence where all the scientists go: "Yes, there's life on Mars!"
Until I see this evidence I have to conclude that on the closest planet that
was once very Earth like, there is no sign of life. If we can't even find
it on Mars, which should have been teeming with life, which should have
left tons of evidence which should have been found by now, then I must
conclude that the Universe is a vast lifeless place.

The only life that I can verify by empirical evidence is right here on this
planet. You can do all the thought experiments you want, in your imagination
you can populate the entire vast Universe with bacteria, or Star Trek/Star
Wars like critters, whatever you like, it's all pure speculation. All that
we know for sure is that is Life here on Earth. Plenty of it. The problem
is nobody knows where it came from. Nobody is really sure even what it is.
Can someone tell me what the Life Force is that differentiates living
things from inanimate objects? Is it Chi?, Ki? Prana? What the heck is it?
Did it originate here on Earth. (I think it did.) If it did, then how did
that first coacervate of organic molecules become alive in the first place?
How did it know how to assemble a strand of self replicating RNA? At exactly
what point did the Life Force enter this assemblage of non living stuff?
Don't even get me started on the Miracle of Intelligence/Consciousness! As
if anyone knows what that little voice in your head is!

This should be pretty simple stuff to figure out, even for a young, dumb
species like homo sapiens. After all, it happened right here on our home
planet just a few billion years ago right under our noses. People will tell
you otherwise, but we don't have a clue as to what life is or how it got
started. Until these basic questions about the origins of life on our own
planet are answered I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves by
believing in aliens. Little green men or tall gray men, I have to see one to
believe in them.

Dos mas pesos,

Phil Whitmer

Nota bene: Of course I could be completely wrong and Dr. Edgar Mitchell
could be completely right!