[meteorite-list] SETS: The Search for Extra-terrestrial Stupidity- changed to Hibben by EPG

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk, all -

While I am pretty stupid now, that was not always the case.

"Hibben maintained his innocence until his death."

Hibben had four misfortunes:
1) to have his observations used by Velikovsky
2) to find a pre-clovis site
3) to have a head wound
4) to be surrounded by jealous and petty "colleagues"

"Best of luck in revising history for your own devices" Oh Really? Some people think that history is simply the stories we tell about ourselves, but I have always viewed it as more than that.

The point of my survey "Man and Impact in the Americas" was to begin to establish the impact record for the Americas. No more, no less. I did it as well as I could, and quite frankly, if North American archaeologists were better at doing what they are supposed to be doing my task would have been far, far easier. Why even the major holocene start impacts were not reported until some 4 years after I finished my book. Kind of tough to deny them now, isn't it Dirk?

Incidentally, impacts also provided a time lock for Native American oral histories, which provided a lock to the archaeological record. Result: "Mississippian", "Hopewell" and "Andaste" are all in there, but with their real names, and descriptions of their lives in their own words, those of their neighbors, or those of visitors. Result: the only reliable proto-history of the first peoples east of the Mississippi River and south of the Saint Lawrence.

In 2007 after far too many messages we finally established that the specific deposits at Fairbanks which Hibben's observed were destroyed by the same hydraulic mining operation which exposed them.

Now you bring up an Alaskan coastal site. What is the weather like in Alaska on the coast? If anything was exposed, I would not expect it to survive waves, wind and ice for long.

Getting down to credentials, I was a space journalist, and you can read the major stories I broke over at Mark Wade's Encyclopedia Astronautica. Before that I coded text retrieval applications in mainframe assembler, and then did some computer security work.

Ignorant of archaeology? Not quite, Dirk.

My professor? My brother in law was an Egyptologist trained at the University of Chicago, and I lived in DC, so visiting the Smithsonian exhibits with him was great fun. I read archaeology from about age 8.

After college I played with Linear A for 7 years, and even built my own "toy". And no, I don't want to share with you who I met up with along the way then.

I excavated in Fredericksburg, but it was a minor dig in the mayor's back yard, did docent work, and assembled broken beer jugs.

I made 12 trips between the Mississippi River and East Coast for "Man and Impact in the Americas", what I called "library and cemetery" tours, and pretty much drained the UVA mayan materials, and much from the Library of Congress.

Now I am sorry that I did not cover the Southwest in my book, but then the Hopi, Navajo, and Zuni elders will say what they want to say about impacts when they want to say it.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas
(waiting for the new IG's report on Griffin's failure to respond to the
instructions of the George Brown Jr amendment, and for the USGS cores from the coastal Carolinas.)