[meteorite-list] Three Strikes and You're Out

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:16:45 +0100

Martin

I agree with all you say. The enjoyment of the majority of the list members should not be spoiled by the inappropriate behaviour of a few large egos. We are all seeking to benefit from a shared knowledge and love of meteorites.

Yet, it would seem unnecessarily dictatorial to seek to muzzle or eject one or two people. They do have a right to air their opinions, no matter how distasteful they may be. I can appreciate that given the volume of traffic on the list, that it would be a very onerous task to moderate the list, but if there was a moderator it might deter a few people form making the sort of vicious, derogatory remarks that seem to be appearing more and more frequently. After all, as we see in politics, once a politician gets the media's attention, they will seek at every turn to maintain themselves in the public's eye, no matter what they say. Starving them of the oxygen of publicity is better than outright censorship.

But you are right, Martin, we are all here for meteorites. Let's be grown-up about it.

Cheers

Peter Davidson
Curator of Minerals

National Museums Collection Centre