[meteorite-list] no scam/no fraud/ just a trade

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:59:11 -0400

Hi Dirk,

Regarding your disappointment in Steve for the very nice 1.2 kg "Jalu",
it is worth it to review the requirements for the unmentionable:
Backing out on eBay:

eBay Auction Cancellation (General)

Sellers rights: eBay earns the insertion fee from the Seller and won't
prohibit Sellers from canceling their auctions/bids.

Buyers rights: Buyers cannot cancel their bid (eBay would lose the
final value fee) except within one hour of making a typo.

Steve is within his rights, and the only ethics that drive eBay's
policy is: OK if it gives eBay income. If Steve used eBay to taunt
his trade partner into jumping, he just paid for an insertion and broke
bidders hearts with an ulterior motive (we don't know the motivation,
but it seems likely given the situation). But if whoever Steve traded
with also bid in the auction, that would be a transaction off-eBay and
they could suspend Steve.

Sorry, Dirk, I am sure many feel your frustration and hopefullty it is
over. You've been Star-Kist: Honor doesn't mix with eBay management,
there's always a twist at the expense of good faith of others
benefitting eBay's bottom line - and this is mostly eBay's doing.
Also, it takes two and if the other is an IMCA member ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_El2_enNFaI

There is one caveat. Steve mentioned in the auction (twice!!):

"I WILL RUN FOR 5 DAYS SO GOOD LUCK.I will start the bidding at $1 and
let it go for 5 days."

So you believed Steve. :-) Fool me once, shame on you, twice, shame
on who???