[meteorite-list] Belgian Fireball of 15AUG09 update

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:16:21 EDT

>>The bolide is definitely not linked to Perseids.
General direction of this bolide is from East to West, reported on map.
Witnesses observed it at different position in the sky, depending of
location:
>From the Netherland, the bolide was observed on south horizon.
>From Center of France, the bolide was observed to north horizon.
>From Belgium and north of France, the bolide as observed at various
position in the sky, from South to North; East to West.. and also from North to
South... The declinaison is variable: from zenith to horizon according
various locations.

All witnesses describe the bolide as a fire ball with sensible visible
diameter. Magnitude approx is -10
The bolide had a very little trail, maximum 4 to 6 time the size of
"fire head". Very quickely, it explodes in two fragments. The little
fragment has been vaporized in atmosphere. The second (and bigger) explode at
the end of trajectory in multiple fragments in a nice green/yellow/red
color. After the second explosion, only one little green fragment was
observed following the trajectory. The light "turn off" very sudenly, without
evolution on yellow or red color.

The speed was extremely slow, more quickly than an airplane, but very
slow than an classic shooting star.
Vincent.<<

Well Vincent...it doesn't sound like a Perseid to me either.
George Zay