[meteorite-list] How do you pronounce Muonionalusta?

From: Pekka Savolainen <nuuska_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:21:07 +0300

Most of the Finnish dialects spoken in the Province of Lapland are of
the Northern Finnish dialect group, which are also spoken in Sweden and
northern Norway. The S?mi language has had a great influence on the
vocabulary of these dialects.

S?mi words have been loaned for depicting nature, reindeer husbandry and
northern living conditions. There have often not been suitable words in
Finnish for certain phenomenon of northern nature. Many local place
names in the region are of S?mi origin and have through the years
changed into names that are easier for Finns pronounce. Some examples of
words like these are: kaltio, kero, lompolo, mella, muonio, vuoma and
vuontis.

So "Muonio" is a place

http://www.muonio.fi/web/index.php?id=3

"Alusta" is usually something like "undersite" or "base"

"Muonionalusta" = "base / undersite of Muonio"

Mu- like Mu(lligan)
o- like (t)o(p)
ni- like (mo)ney
on = on
a- like (b)u(t)
lus- like (Tel)lus
ta like Ta(nya)

It may be easier with some Highland Park, like Thomas says ;-)

Well, perhaps it?s better, I`ll upload a voice-file to my site, just
have to find my mic first...

best,

pekka s

--