[meteorite-list] Question

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear List Members,

I have had a lot of time to ponder what some of these Antarctic planetary pieces would go for. My guess is that they would start out real high and then become less and less as the market reaches saturation. It would take less than 300 grams of any Martian meteorite to satisfy the collector market short-term. The Antarctic pieces would be no different if the pieces became suddenly available.

If all of ALH84001 was available, my guess would be that it would start out at around $50,000/gram and then be less than $5,000/gram within a year due to the weight of the piece. It would only hold the $5,000/gram price due to the claims and studies regarding this famous stone. No meteorite in the world will hold a price of over $50,000/gram for very long if more than 300 grams is available.

The Antarctic Lunaites would start out a lower price than ALH84001 but would hold prices long-term because there are a lot of buyers of moon rocks who are not necessarily interested in meteorites. In other words, Lunaites reach into several markets while most meteorites are incorporated only into advanced mineral collections or institutions. Almost everybody can relate to rocks from the Moon due to it being our closet celestial neighbor and the massive NASA Apollo undertakings, considered the most important achievement in history by a great deal of the world's population. You have heard the term, "I would give her the moon if I could" Now, mere mortals can own a piece of the Moon and Mars too.

If the Antarctic pieces become suddenly available, they would quickly lose a lot of their mystique and become similarly priced. Meteorites do not care where they land and when it comes to planetary pieces, the market seems to care very little where they were found so long as they were legally exported.

On another subject, it is my belief that a North American lunar meteorite will be found soon. The only thing that could top this would be if a meteorite from the Moon was witnessed as a fall!

We can only dream,

Best Regards,

Adam