[meteorite-list] Novo-Urei

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2009 21:00:56 UT

MikeG. writes:

"Hi Gary, I think you are referring to Novo-Urei, the type fall of ureilites. :)"

Hi Mike, Gary, and List,

MikeG., this time *you* were faster so we're even :-)

"On a September morning in 1886, several meteorites fell near the village of
Novo Urei... one of the stones was soon recovered by local peasants, where-
upon it was broken apart and eaten. The motivation for this rather unusual
action is not known, but this constituted an impressive feat from a dental
perspective, because the meteorite contained numerous small diamonds."

Reference:

McSWEEN H.Y. (1999) Meteorites and Their Parent
Planets (Cambridge University Press, Glossary, p. 145).

Best from stifling
hot Germany,

Bernd