[meteorite-list] Cease fires and Cataloging and Displayingcollections was question

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:20:09 -0400

Elton/All,
Re: your cataloging inquiry below, I submitted an article to Larry on this
very subject which I think is running in the August 2009 issue (haven't seen
it yet, though). There's a good bit of detail in the article itself, but a
quick suggestion here is to videotape yourself "presenting" your collection
specimen by specimen. Most of us know interesting details such as
provenance, acquisition price, etc, for each specimen in our collection, and
this information can be quickly and easily captured via your spoken words.
Additionally, it is no trouble capturing good enough detailed images of each
specimen (from many angles if necessary) in this way without breaking out
the camera and lighting, sorting through all of the images, writing up the
details, etc. All of that should really be done as well, of course, but one
quick, simple and inexpensive solution (compared, say, to setting up a
posting site) to capture this information with the ability to store multiple
copies in different locations (in the event of fire, theft, whatever) is
through video.
All best,
Dave
www.fallingrocks.com