[meteorite-list] Met List Flame Wars

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:51:05 -0400

Amen brother.

> I wonder how many people lurk on this list and pay close attention to who acts like a professional at all times and who does not. I have no doubt there are others like me who will not do business with anyone who does not present a professional demeanor most or all of the time. (We all have our moments)

I can not agree more with this statement. As a new comer to this I was
horrified and embarrassed by the content of a lot of the messages that
came across it. Unfortunately, this list was my first impression of
the meteorite community and while I have met some very amazing and
brilliant people through this list, the conduct and arrogance from the
bad apples has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this community
as a whole. The simple fact that the largest thread on this list since
I've been on here was titled "Who is the best meteorite hunter in the
world", speaks volumes.

A problem I have witnessed in many industries over many years is that
really smart people sometimes get a little full of themselves (because
they are so smart). The first job I had out of college was for the
Credit Card company Visa. There were 100s of brilliant software
engineers that worked in my office. Sometimes they were too smart for
anyone else, so smart they were often blind to things that were right
in front of their face (like the internet becoming the power house of
e-commerce (job was in 94). I remember my boss saying to these guys in
a meeting once, when they were acting like arrogant fools: "we aren't
curing cancer here guys. get a grip."

I will be spending 10s of thousands of dollars on meteorites in the
next year. 100s of thousands of dollars on meteorites over the next 5
years (yes I'm totally hooked on these things). I will absolutely
never buy anything from anyone who has acted out or been a prick on
this list. Before I make a purchase I search the meteorite list
archives for the seller, and if they are a jerk I look else where.

Being nice is good for business.

Sincerely,

Mike Hankey
http://www.mikesastrophotos.com