[meteorite-list] Bogou Meteorite in the Accretion Desk

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:44:02 -0600

Hello Mike, Frank and All,

I doubt our pieces of Bogou share a room at the Hotel Cureton. My
piece came from a university collection that likely acquired the
specimen in the early 1970s. I suspect it originally came from either
the Smithsonian or directly from a museum in Africa. I think the
Smithsonian is most likely since that is where a majority of the mass
is housed, as well as the fact that many other small iron samples in
the university collection came with Smithsonian documentation.

I don't know if you have it, but here is the link to Met Bull 25 that
contains the Bogou entry. A wonderful little story.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/docs/mb25.pdf

Best,

Martin