[meteorite-list] Elliott Collection Sale Results

From: John Gwilliam <jkg2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:27:39 -0700

This is very typical of auctions for just about anything, it is not
unique to meteorites. I've been to antique auctions where high
priced items got passed over while low end things got fought over.
Same is true for horses and cattle (which I have personal knowledge of).

Next time you bid at an auction, especially a live one, pay attention
to what goes on inside your head. Most people have a "limit" of how
much they will bid per increment and also what price they will drop
out. However, it's easy to get sucked into bidding $10 or $20 or $50
more than you your original plan. It's easy to "twenty dollar
yourself to death" at auctions. In my opinion, it's easier to justify
bidding on twenty $50 items rather than one $1,000 item even though
they have the same total value. Auction bidding can get addictive.

Best,

John Gwilliam