[meteorite-list] Darryl Futrell huge Philippinite

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:50:11 +0000 (GMT)

Hi List

On the same link I posted earlier regarding the tektite lamp: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JHsNghP_3Rcb0QbP9zHr_w?authkey=Gv1sRgCM6XzLrq76-GKQ&feat=directlink

does anyone know what happened to the huge Beyer Philippinite weighing 1,065g (1,069g on Beyer's scales)? It'd be good to know where this one ended up. Large tektites are still coming out of Bikol but are very rare. In the last couple of years (to my knowledge) there have been a few over 700g, maybe 1 over 800g and none above this. Des and I frequently get reports of 1 kilo tektites but they always turn out to weigh much less. There may be a few more that are in the hands of other western/asian foreigners but again the weight is usually much exaggerated by the sellers who cannot afford scales.

The largest original tektite spheres always fragment (like the other two irregular specimens shown). Presumably they are thermodynamically unstable above 1 kilo.

Regards, Aubrey
www.tektites.co.uk