[meteorite-list] Stovepiping

From: McCartney Taylor <mccartney_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:01:30 -0500

Someone emailed me about my use of the word "stovepipe". What is it, etc...

Well, I may or may not have seen it in official meteoriticist vocabulary but I do think it is a useful word in meteorites.

In general, Stovepiping refers any feature that sticks up like a flue pipe from a franklin stove.

In the case of a meteorite, I use stovepiping to describe the feature on the leeside of a oriented meteorite. I posit that the melted rock may have congealed and cooled on the back side in a stovepipe fashion.

I hope that clears up the term and officially adds it to our vocabulary.

-mt