[meteorite-list] FW: Fw: Kem Kem, the original generic name before NWAs, Northwest African meteorites

From: Fred Bieler <fcb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:52:27 -0500

NWA 400 shows in the MetBase as a provisional name and is described only as
an uncrusted metal-rich chondrite with an "Origin/pseudonym: Algeria,"
bought by Dean Bessey, and with no mention of the name Oum Rockba.
Michael Cottingham sold large quantities of a meteorite named Oum Rockba
saying it had been found 12 miles west of the village of Oum Rokba in
Southern Morocco, was bought by him October 2000, and had been classified by
Alan Rubin of UCLA as an H5, S2 W2.
Michael told me a few months ago via email that he didn't know why the
classification had not been officially submitted to the NOmCom, but that he
would find out from Dr. Rubin. To date, still no answer.
Is the Bessey NWA 400 truly the stone sold by Cottingham as Oum Rockba? I've
been trying to find out for eight years. With 14 stones of "Oum Rockba"
totaling 5732 grams (the largest 4126 grams) as part of the results of an
investment in one of Michael's early buying trips, any assurance one way or
the other would be appreciated. Enquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Fred Bieler
www.astronomics.com