[meteorite-list] The need to find impactors before they hit

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 10:08:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

But what I must mention is that adequate detection of the most dangerous impactors - and here I mean specifically both Long Period Comets and small dead comet fragments, is going to require the use of space based assets. In other words, you have to find them before you can divert or destroy them.

This is a real problem, not an imaginary one, and further a real problem that is unavoidable.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas