[meteorite-list] AD: Let's Admire an Ad for Admire on Ebay

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:06:12 EDT

Hello List,

I have been asked to document what Admire Pallasite material is actually
worth. Some say under $0.10/g; others say $1.00/g; while still others say
$10.00/g and there are buyers that seem to be happy to pay over $50/g in
places. But, all those numbers are just guesses.

Since so little of Admire has made it onto the retail market in the last
15 years, it is hard to determine what the true fair market value would be
nowadays. So I figured the best way to find out would be to start some at
$1 on Ebay with no reserve, and see where they end at.

I don't want to put up too much up on Ebay all closing on one night, so I
am starting the test with 8 various sized pieces in this first Ebay batch
from 1.9 grams up to over 2.4 kg. Depending on how these in the first batch
go, I will determine how much more I will put up later on Ebay. If some
of you would like to see bigger pieces on Ebay, let me know off list. But
whatever happens, I should be able to have a documented range of what the
market values are for different sized pieces.

There was a dilemma I was facing, on whether I wanted to spend my "one AD
for the week" here at the start of the auctions, or wait until right before
they all close on Saturday to put my one AD up here on the Meteorite List.
  Since I am doing this round for only a 3 day auction, I figured it would
be best to go ahead and get the notice out here at the start so everyone
has the time to check them out.

Everyone is invited to admire the 8 Admire lots I have up on Ebay here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Steve-Arnold-Meteorites?refid=store

Remember to bid high and bid often. And don't forget that the object of
the game is to see how high you can bid the lots up without getting caught!
 ;-)

Thanks for your consideration.

Steve Arnold
of "Meteorite Men"