[meteorite-list] SPAM from In Depth Friends Page

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:36:58 -0700

Hi all,
        I have been alerted by at least 3 people that a
Spam mailing, specifically citing my IN DEPTH
FRIENDS PAGE (kindly hosted by that king of
Web pages, Paul Harris & his partner in crime,
The ingenious Jim Tobin)
        First: this particular spam actually cited my
Page as their source - I assume to "gain" a sense of
"honesty" or "affiliation." I can think of no other reason
(unless I get really paranoid and start suspecting someone
Is ticked at me and wants to taint my endeavors - seams
Highly unlikely)
        Second: one must realize spammers have a wide
Arsenal of methods of getting email addresses. Spam
Is the dog poop on the lawn - yet we all continue to
Have lawns (except that clever devil, Geoff Notkin,
Who has sand and cactus).
        Those that want to remove their email address
>From their IN DEPTH FRIENDS PAGE, go for it -
You can edit it out just as you edited in any and all
Information there. HOWEVER, that will be a drop
In the bucket, as spamming bastards, as I said, will
Get your email address so many ways it would blow
Your mind - it starts when you GET an email address,
Expands when you email ANYONE, visit ANY net
Site, order anything on the net, receive email, etc.
Every conceivable method one could think of
(and MANY one would not think of) is used.
        I would be amazed if there is not an ebook available
For spammers!
        Anyway, the point is, if you want to edit out your email
Address you can do so just as you put it in but the effect
On the amount of spam you receive will likely be unnoticeable.
        Sorry this is how it is.
        Best wishes, Michael