[meteorite-list] Reported Possible PA Meteorite Found

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:16:23 -0400

I got this report from someone on my blog:

?On July 26, 2009 I found an unusual rock lying on top of some mulch
in my parent?s yard in north-central Maryland (Carroll County). It is
totally unlike anything in the area. It looks like a meteorite to me.
 It is gray, with irregular shape, indentations which appear to have
possibly been made by hot gas, and a few small rusty spots. The rock
is about 2 inches wide. It is slightly attracted to a strong magnet.
 No one in the family had put the rock where it was found. No digging
has occurred recently around where it was found. The region where
this rock was found would be somewhat in line with your projected path
of the recent meteor that may have landed near the Susquehanna River.?

I asked him to send me some pictures. He did.

My first thought is its not a meteorite because:

1) its not black, no fusion crust
2) its from Carrol County which is pretty far away from the trajectory
we are currently working with.

Would you guys mind looking at the pictures and tell me what you think?

The person who reported this is just a kid, so if you could try to
keep the comments as kind as possible I'd really appreciate it.

The pictures are linked on my site (1st update on the page)

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com

If you want to leave a comment on the site, please feel free to
include a URL to your commercial sites and pick up some free back
links.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. check out yesterday's update for a good laugh.