[meteorite-list] Interesting crystal in meteorite - what is it?

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:50:32 -1000

Aloha,

In a suspected lodranite recently procured from Morocco, I noticed a
peculiar large, iridescent crystal in the broken face of the
meteorite. I contacted some people on the metlist about this feature
to get their thoughts, and Bernd Pauli has opined that the crystal is
euhedral, iridescent and has the crystalline form of typical
feldspars. But I have never seen a plagioclase feldspar look like
this. Or is this some kind of iridescent olivine crystal? Or ???

I am getting this specimen analyzed, but until then, I am hoping
someone on the metlist has seen, and can identify this curious crystal.

http://astroday.net/Meteorites.html

Gary Fujihara
AstroDay Institute
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, HI 96720