[meteorite-list] cottingham - BAN BILL

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

I remember when I joined this list about 10 years ago that there was always a great meteorite discussion and many academics were willing to share insights.
This discussion forum has gone downhill over the years as the result of a very small number (Less than a dozen) people who regularly made personal attacks for various reasons - often has part of a misguided sales strategy to sell meteorites.
Over the past year almost everybody has quited down , realizing that they were harming themselves as much as their victim - or have simply left or been kicked of the list.
Very few academics will associate themselves with the list and make postings anymore. Its mostly dealers and a die hard few nowadays who post.
Very few people (Less than a dozen) care if somebody makes a couple extra sales postings a month. Most people have learned what a delete key is used for.
Over the past six months this list basically has a single diehard crackpot that continues to dribble (Or flood) out this sort of bile that is responsible for people not taking part in discussions and responsible for the loss of "community spirit" that this list had when I joined 10 years ago. The list was better then and many members considered other members personal friends even if they never met.
People dont leave this list because of a couple extra sales postings (Although they leave because of the bitching about it).
Recently everybody has either been acting (At least semi) civilized (or left altogether).
Today, A single crackpot is left that continues to spew the hate and bile for no reason other than that he gets off on it that the rest of us would prefer to not be exposed to as we discuss or sell meteorites.
I recommend that Art Ban crackpot bill
Sincerely
DEAN