[meteorite-list] Search on for Toronto-area meteorite bits

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:03:25 -0700

TORONTO, April 29 (UPI) -- Canadians living north and northeast of
Toronto are being asked to help search for meteorite fragments from a
fireball last month.

In a release, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto and the University of
Western Ontario in London said analysis of a network of sky camera
footage shows a slow-moving fireball swept eastward on March 15 at 8:37
p.m. near the small city of Newmarket.

The museum is scheduling a public workshop in Newmarket on what to look
for in the fragments, which are likely to be small. The release said
meteorites are often black on the outside from the heat of re-entry, and
can be dull or shiny. They are not dangerous to handle and are almost
always magnetic, the museum said.

"Although this is not the first time a meteorite has fallen in Ontario,
we are very interested in recovering fragments from this fireball, which
gives us small clues to the material in our solar system," said Dr. Kim
Tait, associate curator of mineralogy at the museum

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2009/04/29/Search-on-for-Toronto-area-meteorite-bits/UPI-78311241018656/

--
Regards,