[meteorite-list] The History Channel asteroids episode

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:12:13 -0500

Hi, Bob, List,

    I don't say this from any wish to be quarrelsome,
but if there is a site mentioned here that is a danger
to any user, it is McAfee itself, a struggling rolling
disaster attempting to cling to declining market share
with decrepid and faulty software whose marketing
tactic is and has been for years to intentionally terrify
their users with false reports of danger (particularly
in their web server software).

    Long term use of McAfee with constant so-called
upgrades and updates will bring any PC to a state of
total operational destruction. I've encountered "problem"
PC's that ran so slowly as to be unusable for which
McAfee software was responsible. Uninstalling and
burning all traces of McAfee from them restored them
to normal operation.

    Various alerts from McAfee have (falsely) identified
Abode Flash as a Trojan Horse, also several key components
of both Windows XP and Vista. They often target their
competitors' products for such false warnings (surprise).
All such software has some false alarms, but it appears to
be a pattern with this company. (Libel suits are welcome.)

    Longtime members of this List may recall being
victimized some years ago by a McAfee "warning storm"
of hundreds of "security warnings," one accompanying
each and every post from the List they received. I got
about 300 of them. There was, of course, no virus and
nothing wrong with any of the List postings... McAfee
is more than just worthless junk, though. It has a
history of eating its users' machines. That's far more
than an annoyance.

    As far as Sendspace is concerned, I have used the
site for years without any problem. (It's true that they
have increased ad content lately. Times are tough; you
may have heard.)

    You're in far more danger from McAfee than Sendspace.
(And no, I don't work for Symantec, or Sendspace either.)

Sterling K. Webb