[meteorite-list] info about meteorite storage

From: Bill Mason <bmason3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:17:57 -0500

Dear Aloe Paolo,
The problem of meteorite deterioration (Usually irons and beloved
pallasites) is we as collectors for some reason ignore the reason for
corrosion and just what to do about it. FACT a meteorite will NOT corrode
in a vacuum. Well that sounds simple, BUT we all can't provide an vacuum
environment for our collection. BUT WE CAN solve the corrosion if we do two
things. 1. Properly prepare the meteorite specimen when you get it. 2.
Preserve it in a environment that prevents Galvanic action from taking place
ever again. \

Now that I have lit the fire of "OK Rusty smart ass" , tell us how to do it.
I've been preaching the solutions for years and some folks out there in our
world of meteorite collecting just know better and yet I visited collections
in Tucson that were rusting and just didn't understand what causes rust?

WATER, OXYGEN, chlorine and poor storage environment.

Bill Mason3 "rusty"